Aggregate \Ag"gre*gate\, a. [L. aggregatus, p. p.]

Formed by a collection of particulars into a whole mass or sum; collective. To bring together. Syn: To heap up; accumulate; pile; collect.


Background

Monday, August 30, 2010

Homage Monday - Artists in Training

Children have an astounding capacity for art. It seems as though the world itself, this huge learning experience, is tangible to them through artistic endeavour. They are like tiny walking musicals. The rules that seem to bind a society into propriety do not apply and as much as children are sticklers for black and white, right and wrong, the idea that being covered in paint (or any media for that matter) from head to toe then breaking into song (and dance) would be abnormal does not occur to them. Yet. Thank goodness.

In this brief moment when we as parents, friends and pundits are training them to live inside the box (to  keep them happy and safe) they are blessedly on the fringes, balancing on the threshold of total freedom. Therein lies the rub. Teaching them to follow their bliss, but not into traffic. To nurture their artistic being, while shaping their social responsibility. To instill in them empathy, while maintaining self-worth. To teach a child to give of them self freely, without giving them self away.

5 comments:

  1. That is a WONDERFUL picture! I adore it :) The freedom children live with to be who they are and not worry about who is looking or what they will think is incredibly inspiring! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon Parker-BrunoAugust 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM

    I've said it before...I think you should write a book!!! Missing you guys, but I'm back to work on Sat. as of next week...I have a few workshop/staff meeting days first. So sad to leave my baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was beautiful!!! One of the best things I've read in a while. I loved it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! You have such a way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your insight always gives me so much more to contemplate! Thanks for opening up to thoughts that most of us just dance around at.

    ReplyDelete

Have I mentioned I ADORE your comments? Well I do - THANK YOU!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...