Aggregate \Ag"gre*gate\, a. [L. aggregatus, p. p.]

Formed by a collection of particulars into a whole mass or sum; collective. To bring together. Syn: To heap up; accumulate; pile; collect.


Background

Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Public Shaming...


About a week ago I was reading a wonderful post on Avant Garde Parenting about unsolicited parenting advice. I was immediately reminded of a terrible, awful, no good very bad experience I had before having even pushed the first baby out. Unsolicited indeed.

When I was pregnant with my firstborn, despite my advanced age of 27 ;), I looked about 18. I was almost two weeks overdue, cranky, uncomfortable and trying to walk that kid out of me. I passed by a patio teeming with peeps. A lady literally stood up, pointed at me, and declared to her audience, "Look at this young one...PREGNANT!"

I was shocked. Hurt. Embarrassed. Although I needn't have been any of these. I thought, what if I was 16, husbandless and pregnant? What was a public shaming going to help? When has a public shaming ever been the catalyst for a heart-warming life-altering experience for either the shamer or the shamee?!! 

Well, all decorum flew out the window. My mother, having been in town for 3 weeks awaiting the imminent arrival of this grandchild (who was now without a doubt taking some sort of long distance learning course from the comfort of my uterus because he sure as shooting was NOT COMING OUT!) had to hold me back because I wanted to physically damage this woman. 

The rest is just a blur. Though I do know there was no melee. No throw down. To this day I wonder what inspires people to publicly shame others. I don't mean a roast or a well meaning albeit inebriated wedding guest, but a stranger. I don't think I'll ever get it.

Jack eventually did come out by the way, and he was well worth the wait.

4 comments:

  1. Even reading it for a second time, I still can't believe it. People never cease to amaze me. Ugh. Thanks for the blog mention and I hope you never, ever have to deal with someone that unkind again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People can be ignorant jerks... That's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shannon Parker-BrunoSeptember 16, 2010 at 4:22 PM

    At least your the cutest pregnant person ever my friend!!! Probably just jealous they weren't also pregnant. I'm going out on a limb here, but the chances are they had been trying to get pregnant for a long time with out any luck and wouldn't you know it they decided public shaming may help do the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was taking a course though my company when I was about 11 weeks pregnant and because I had morning sickness I had to snack all the time to keep from throwing up. I brought along almonds, carrots, milk, an apple, etc. When we had a break in the class I had run out of snacks so I went and got another milk and thought I would treat myself to a cheese bun.

    The anorexic @#!&^ that was teaching the class came up to me and said "well you've been eating a lot this morning. Is this round just a snack or lunch?". I almost punched her in the throat but instead decided to say the following: "Actually I am expecting, and unless you would like me to puke all over you it's best you leave me to nourishing myself and my unborn child"

    I was so livid I actually wrote a letter regarding this lady's behaviour to the corporate training office and I haven't seen her back in Alberta since....

    PS: you were super cute when you were pregnant and are super hot when you're not! :o)
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete

Have I mentioned I ADORE your comments? Well I do - THANK YOU!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...