Aggregate \Ag"gre*gate\, a. [L. aggregatus, p. p.]

Formed by a collection of particulars into a whole mass or sum; collective. To bring together. Syn: To heap up; accumulate; pile; collect.


Background

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Kettle Corn...Sort of.

It has been four years since there was a microwave in our home and surprisingly it really was not a very difficult adjustment to make. In fact the only thing I found myself missing was the popcorn.

I dug out the air popper that we had been given for our wedding. Air popped corn can be delicious, it is low in fat, has a fraction of the salt and none of the chemicals that are put into microwave popcorn. But it lacks that je ne sais quoi of its microwavable cousin.
It was only recently that I discovered just how remarkable popcorn over the stove can be. I have two wonderful girlfriends whose wonderful husbands make incredible popcorn over the stove. It is far quieter than air popped (which is important after putting poppets to bed)and I find it is in fact easier as well. And my house smells like a movie theatre.

Here is my recipe for Kettle Corn...sort of:

-In a large pot over high-ish heat melt 3-4 Tbls. Coconut Oil (high flashpoint and heaps of good for you stuff). 
-After a minute or two add 1/2 cup kernels. 
-K, so here for an optional treat, I will add 1/4 cup of sugar for more of a "kettle corn" kinda feel. 
-Stir well and cover. 
-Lower heat a titch. 
-Shake often until popping stops. 
-Dump into a large bowl, or leave it in the pot and just protect the surface where the pot will sit. 
-If sugar has been added, salt to taste.  If no sugar has been added I will add 1tsp. now as well as a few Tbls. melted butter. Sometimes.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited to try this!!! Yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very yummy Jess, I actually prefer it with the sugar added at the end. Despite so much less sugar being added because it isn't melted you don't notice. mmmm salty and sweet :)

    ReplyDelete

Have I mentioned I ADORE your comments? Well I do - THANK YOU!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...